Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Long Overdue Update

With that long bout of radio silence I'm not sure if anyone is still here, ;) but I did want to drop in and let you know what's been going on in my life over the last months. I didn't intend to be away for so long without an update. It's just that I didn't know exactly how I wanted to write this post, especially since I am still unsure how active I will be in social media/ blogging in the future.

I've found myself being moved in new directions lately and it's involved thinking about and making some changes that at first seemed impossible, but now seem more and more right for what I want to be doing in the future. I've been looking into PhD programs and rekindling my passion for research and teaching. It's been in part because of my work this past year with a couple fantastic non-profits, helping with their science and nature-based education programs. It's reminded me of why I initially chose to focus my studies on the environment and how people interact with it. I feel like I'm getting back to what really matters to me.

I've felt so drawn to exploring this other area of my life, that naturally I've let some of my focus on making things shift a bit. I've still been doing some hand-sewing for relaxation, but I've really slowed down with my projects and just given myself permission to work on things only when I really want to. When my sewing machine broke over the summer, I was without it for about a month. During that time I felt a sense of freedom, which is kind of hard to explain. I was sad that my machine was broken, of course, but it also meant that I had to take a break. I didn't stress about deadlines or unfinished projects during that time, I just accepted the situation. I realized that maybe I really needed to take longer, self-imposed break from sewing and from blogging, especially since it seemed that I had lost some of the joy for it.

Right now, I'm only making things when I feel inspired to and it's been a great experience for me to take some of the pressure off producing. I'm still unsure whether or not I'll start blogging on a regular basis again in the future, but I do know that I miss sharing in the community that we've created online and I hope to get back into it, perhaps through other social media venues like Instagram. (I'm pretty new over there, but you can find me here.) For right now I really like the idea of posting a quick photo here and there, and it seems like it would be a great way to stay in touch.

The only other update that I have for now is that I'll be closing my pattern shops before the end of the year. In Seattle, even small craft businesses are required to register for a full business license in order to operate. I decided not to renew mine for next year since the cost didn't seem to match up with the amount of time that I would have available to work on the shop and develop patterns. I have currently closed my shop on Etsy, but my Craftsy shop will remain open until December 20th. I wanted to give anyone who would like to purchase a pattern time to do so before they are no longer available. Thanks for your understanding and your support!

I know this was a very wordy post with no eye-candy ;), but I'm glad to have had the chance to give you an update on what's been going on.  Thanks for reading and I hope to be sharing more over on Instagram soon.

10 comments :

  1. I am sad to see you take a break, I really enjoy your blog, but I know exactly how you feel about getting pulled away for other priorities! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will miss you, new blogger blog hop buddy. But hope you will still pop in, now and again with a little something! Best of luck to you in whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to check in with you for months! Glad to hear everything is okay, and your study plans sound really exciting. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was nice to see this pop up in my feed today. I'm pretty new to Instagram too but I looked forward to seeing you pop in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to hear from you, and it sounds like your life is going in a very exciting direction :o) Hope you'll pop back and see us again occasionally! BTW, I'm hoping Sitka will go in the post this weekend, I've been having a bit of a box/getting to the PO while it's open nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you have been missed. I recently was reminded how much when I recently purchased the Indian Summer Blogger Stack at Pink Chalk Fabrics. Although I've considered it now and then, I've not jumped in to blogging. I can imagine how one might feel the pressure to "produce," impacting what gets created and when. While I hope to see a post from you in the future, I will definitely follow you on IG to keep in touch. Sending best wishes from Missouri for happiness and success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for finding the time and the words to share this here, Jenelle. You will be missed, but the important thing is to follow this path and these interests where they lead you. You will never regret doing that. Enjoy your new crafting pace and have a happy holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck to you in your future and studies! I for one will miss your blog here! Thank you for the post as you have been missed! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! I too have shifted my focus and haven't been sewing at all. I understand where you are coming from. I am sure the path you are taking will be a great one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean! when hobbies become 'work' they are no fun and we all need a break. I'd love to keep in touch and know what you are up to - are you on Facebook? I'm not much for Instagram :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...