Monday, June 29, 2015

Alchemy Fusion Quilt Top

For my June A Lovely Year of Finishes goal, I decided to take a break from my ongoing WIPs and start working on a new quilt top using a single charm pack with some solids and blenders.

I began this project partly as a way to whittle down my sizable charm pack stash (I can't help but collect them it seems), and partly to help jump start my sewing mojo. Since moving and beginning a new job this past spring, I've been trying to find time here and there to sew, but it has been more of a challenge. This project, with it's bite-sized amount of precise piecing, ended up being just what I needed to get back to the sewing machine. My stash is now one charm pack lighter, and I'm feeling more inspired to sew and start planning for some new projects too.

Alchemy Fusion Quilt Top

When picking out a design for this quilt, I was inspired by the Four-Patch Fusion pattern by Anka's Treasures (from "Charmed & Dangerous" by Heather Mulder Peterson). I ended up modifying the design to work with a smaller amount of fabric and also changed around the piecing and the scale of the blocks to fit my own preferences. I used one charm pack of "Alchemy" by Amy Butler plus some Essex linen, Andover textured solids in peacock, and some chambray from Robert Kaufman. I was pleasantly surprised to use up every last bit of the charm pack to make my blocks, and thus avoided feeding my scrap bin (which let's face it, also needs to be whittled down). :)

Before I baste and quilt this, I think I might build out the borders a bit more to make a more substantial quilt. In the meantime, I'm checking off my goal to finish the central piecing and linking up with A Lovely Year of Finishes:

A Lovely Year of Finishes

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Making a Charm Pack Quilt

I shared this pile of trimmed charms over on Instagram recently. I've been feeling a little less than inspired by some of the WIPs I've been working on lately, so I decided that I needed to start on something completely new and different to get back into the swing of things. 

I also decided that a fairly simple project was in order to not feel overwhelmed, so I started working with this charm pack of "Alchemy" by Amy Butler because (a.) It's a gorgeous line and (b.) I have a TON of charm packs in my stash (because apparently it's my precut of choice), and I wanted to start using some of them in my quilting projects.


I began by hunting for the perfect pattern online and in my Pinterest boards, specifically looking for patterns that could be adapted for a one charm pack project. I was completely inspired by this quilt:


It's the Four-Patch Fusion pattern by Anka's Treasures (from "Charmed & Dangerous" by Heather Mulder Peterson). I love the way that the printed fabric works with the negative space in this quilt, so I decided to give it a shot and modify the design to work with a smaller amount of fabric. 

I've already made all the subunits in the quilt and have started piecing together the rows, so my goal for this month is to finish the quilt top. I may or may not add some borders to build the size out a bit, but at the very least I will have the central portion all pieced.

I'm linking up this goal with A Lovely Year of Finishes:

A Lovely Year of Finishes

Stacked Tiles Quilt

I have new post up at the Imagine Gnats blog, and I made a quilt. :)


This is not just any quilt though. This one is made entirely with super-soft, metallic-printed double gauze and drapey chambray fabric from Kokka (Ellen Luckett Baker "Charms") and Robert Kaufman. 

In my post, I talk all about my process for selecting a pattern to go with these kinds of fabrics and also discuss what worked well for me in terms of handling the shifting qualities of these types of substrates, especially in comparison to my experience with quilting cotton. I felt like I learned a lot about sewing with a softer, more fluid substrate from making this project, and I hope that my thoughts on the process will be informative for others too.



This project was also part of my 2nd Quarter Finish Along Goals, so I'll be linking up too:

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Idea Pouches

I love a quick, fun project. Sometimes sewing something up that takes only a few hours is really satisfying. Making these Idea Pouches for Quilt Sandwich Fabrics turned out to be one of my favorite projects to work on this year so far. Even when I only had a few minutes here and there to sew between packing boxes for our move, they gave me something creative to work on to break up the time.

Idea Pouch

I made these versions with Elizabeth by Tula Pink and Flora by Joel Dewberry using the Idea Pouch pattern by Michelle Patterns. I also threw in an apricot shot-cotton from Westminster Fabrics to compliment the colors in these collections. You can read more about the details of this project over at the Quilt Sandwich Fabrics blog

Becca, proprietress and one half of the sister duo at Quilt Sandwich, also happens to be a guild mate. in the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild. It was so much fun to be able to work with her on this project and geek out a little over the fabrics (hidden bats!). If you love these as much as I do, you can find Flora here and Elizabeth here in the Quilt Sandwich Fabrics online store.

Idea Pouch

I also finished this project as part of my 2nd Quarter Finish-Along Goals:

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side
  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...